Since Angry Orchard cider is available in cans, it makes perfect sense to grill a cider can chicken. After all, why do beer cans get to have all the of the fun? Of course, I wasn’t the only with the idea, as my friends at Angry Orchard not only put the chicken on the can, but added a cider dressing to finish the bird off. Cider and chicken, it’s a fantastic combination.
Crisp Apple Cider Can Chicken
by Angry Orchard and adapted for the grill by Another Pint Please
1 Roasting Chicken, approximately 4-5 pounds
1 can Angry Orchard Crisp Apple Cider (4 ounces for the dressing, 1 swig for you, the rest for the bird!)
2 T chopped fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, etc.)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Note: AO’s original recipe calls for a brine, which I typically forgo for a dry brine, although in this case, I did neither. The results were still spectacular depending on your approach.
1. Prep the grill for indirect medium heat (350 F).
2. In a small bowl, whisk together 4 ounces of Angry Orchard Crisp Apple Cider, the herbs, garlic, and 1 T olive oil.
3. Pat the chicken dry and season liberally with salt and pepper. Pour half the cider herb dressing over the chicken, reserving the rest.
4. Stand the chicken on the can and place on the grill.
Note: The chicken here is closer to 7 pounds. Ideally, with a 4-5 pound chicken, the bird will just fit over the can, not swallow it whole!
5. Place the chicken on the grill, lower the lid, and grill for approximately for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165F.
6. During the last 15 minutes of grilling, baste with the reserved cider herb dressing.
7. Once the chicken is to temperature, remove from the grill, tent with foil, and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
8. Carefully remove the can from the chicken. Carve and serve…oh, and most importantly, enjoy.
Cider is a great treat, even more so in the summer. Add in a juicy hot chicken fresh off the grill and you have the perfect meal to enjoy on a warm summer night. Cheers!
Note: Angry Orchard was kind enough to provide me with some cans of Angry Orchard Crisp Apple to add to the cans I already have.